The Lenoir County SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is a 501c(3) nonprofit organization in Kinston, NC. We are not affiliated with nor do we receive funding from the ASPCA.
We are 1 of only 2 county animal shelters in NC which are run by a non-profit organization instead of that county's animal control department.
We receive only partial funding for shelter operations from Kinston/Lenoir County, leaving us with a deficit every month. The remaining expenses are paid by private donors and any profit earned from our Second Chances Thrift Store.
To help save additional animals, our volunteers participate in a coordinated Rescue Program on Saturdays to transport our shelter animals to reputable rescue organizations in the northeast. Because other states have done a wonderful job with humanely controlling their homeless pet population through spay/neuter ordinances and community education, they do not have the excessive numbers of homeless pets that we do.
Our small shelter receives an average of 8 new homeless pets every day. Please spay & neuter!
The Lenoir County SPCA is dedicated to improving the welfare of companion animals through
- Shelter and care for homeless, neglected & abused animals
- Adoption, Foster, & Rescue programs to place animals in loving homes
- Spay/Neuter education to decrease pet overpopulation
- Education on responsible pet ownership, animal advocacy, and how to report animal abuse & neglect
- Advocacy with local, state and national decision makers
2015 Board of Directors:
- Jerry Henderson, President
- Tammy Everett, Vice-President
- Ursula Rusmisell, Treasurer
- LeAnne Avery, Secretary
- Molly Kelley
- Dee Adkins
- Chris Rogerson
- Kim Williams
- Alaina Kane
- Susan Picard
- Nancy Vander Shaaf